America isn't just one place, it's thousands of different places.
From the famous Art Deco skyline of New York to the palm-fringed avenues
of LA, from the dazzling neons of Las Vegas to the historic monuments of
Washington DC. Plus there's EVERYTHING in between.
The USA is so vast and diverse it has taken us two years to compile
this guide and ofcourse it isn't complete or comprehensive. Perhaps it
never will be!
If you are more used to spending a fortnight in the Mediterranean,
the USA, with its abundance of natural beauty, all-American-style
attractions and recent history will re-awaken your senses.
- Tipping is a way of life (see our Holiday
- Theme parks are open every day of the year.
- $ travelers' cheques are the safest and most convenient way to
- Topless bathing in public is illegal
- It is an offence for anyone under the age of 21 to buy alcohol
- Eating out is mainly informal and nobody dresses-up for dinner
unless eating in a top notch restaurant.
- Do like the Americans do and pick up any free brochures and guides
for the money-saving coupons
- The vast open roads are a joy to drive but the cities, especially
New York and Washington are a nightmare.
- The packages offering 'free car rental' have hidden extras such as
insurance. Get quoted for the exact cost.
- Many hotels are patrolled by armed security guards.
- The weather is more reliable on the west coast.